Saturday 30 July 2011

Louisiana State Capitol Building and Downtown Adventures ( the day I sweated to death)

Today I decided to see the what downtown Baton Rouge had to offer. 

I arrived at about 1pm and parked a block from the new State Capitol Building.  Parking was free.  there was no traffic.  There were no people around.

Probably the strangest downtown experience I have ever had.  Downtown Salmon Arm is more lively than this place. 

The grounds around the building were kept very manacured, it was very pretty.  There were dragonflies and butterflies all over the place, and I could hear an owl (I think) in one of the trees.




I passed one group of people the whole time I wandered around.  Kind of neat actually, that I got to be almost completely alone here.

Afterwards, I decided to head towards the Old State Capitol.  I went down 3rd street.  No one was there. 

 A knobbly looking tree

 Pretty much every building I passed was either closed for the day or forever.



 Remnants of Mardi Gras past were hanging from many of the trees on the street


Here is the Old Capitol Building.  God it felt amazing to get into its glorious air conditioned sanctuary.  Seriously.  I figured out why there werent many people around.  Its too damned hot.  I dont think I've ever sweated so much!  So gross!  Im convinced it is how there is a good number of average and thin people here.  The food is crazy fattening then they go outside and loose crazy amounts of water weight.  Its the only way.

 I know I don't look sweaty here, but rest assured I am.

Looks like a castle outside, but its pretty neat indoors.


I have no idea who this is, but I love it.  I want an exact copy but I feel like he should be holding cotton candy or some balloons.


I liked this portrait too.  This old dude is such a badass, you can totally tell.

Ballroom of some sort

Detail on the door hinges was pretty cool

This is outside the Art building across the street

 I have no clue what this dome is or what its purpose is.  I was so hot I had to get to my car ASAP. 

Fleur du lis on everything - even fences


Next Up:  Amazing gift store items

Obama-rama....

Yes, this is real life.  A magnetic paper doll of Sarah Palin called "Going Vouge"  Kill me.


I am probably going to comment on this again sometime, but the school spirit -football town craziness is so weird.  This is a porta potty in the school colours called a "Tiger Toilet".   Could you imagine if all our porta potties at home were called "Canucks Cans"?!?!  Its bizarre.  School Spirit has officially gone TOO FAR.

No comments:

Post a Comment